Laser Hair Removal
- Dr. Kim in Sugok-dong near Cheongju University of Education. It's called 김명수 내과 ("Kim Myeong Soo neh-gwah") In a taxi, you can say 청주구법원 사거리 ("Cheongju goo buhp-won sah-guh-ree"), which is the intersection name. Just go behind the GS25 convenience store and up the stairs. Give your ARC to the receptionist and wait til your name comes up on the screen. Dr. Kim's very nice and his English is really good. He can help with a wide range of internal problems-- cold, flu, asthma, gastrointestinal issues, etc...
- Doori ENT in Gagyeong-dong near Homeplus. It's called 두리 이비인후과 ("doo-ree ee-bee-een-hoo-gwah"). If you start facing the front of Homeplus, walk to the right until you cross the next street. Then turn left, and it's the first building on your right, on the 4th floor. The doctor here speaks English. Hours are Mon-Fri 9-7 and Sat 9-3.
- CNC Green Hospital: International consultation hours are on Thursday from 2-6pm (the doctor's name is Joseph Hwang) and they are open Mon-Fri from 9am-6pm and Sat. 9am-1pm. Appointments 043-291-8114. Near the bus terminal. You can call for better directions.
- Ha-Bal (하벨치과, "hah-bell cheek-gwah") --short for Harmony & Balance-- in shinae, next to Lotte Young Department Store. It's on the main street side (with all the cars) above The Body Shop, on the 3rd floor. The dentist studied at Vanderbilt in the US and speaks flawless English. 043-253-5375.
- IS Dental Clinic in shinae. Directly across the main street from Lotte Young Department Store. Look for 이즈치과 ("eej cheek-gwah"). This dental clinic has been designated an official foreign care provider by the Korean government. They have staff fluent in English. Call 043-258-2875 or just walk in.
- Minsu Kim at Seoul Samsung Dental Clinic. In shinae, across from the main road entrance to the Yookguri market, 2nd floor. He speaks English.
- Saram Sarang Dentist (사람사랑 치과, "sah-rahm sah-rahng cheek-gwah") in Chungdae. It's at Sachang Sagori (the main intersection) near Mr. Pizza, and up a few floors. The female dentist speaks some English.
- UD Clinic, located in the Angel building near GWell City. The front desk staff has limited English, but the actual dentist is fairly well spoken in English. (You will need to book an appointment in advance-- #043-238-2600-- Korean only). If you have no medical/dental coverage, like me, it only costs 1,000 won for scaling (cleaning). If you have medical/dental coverage you have to pay 15,000 plus 1,000 won.
- Doo-Hee Lee (이두희) at IS Dental Clinic in shinae. Directly across the main street from Lotte Young Department Store. Look for 이즈치과 ("eej cheek-gwah"). Dr. Lee speaks English, is professional, and can explain what he's doing. Call 043-258-2875, or just walk in and ask for a consultation. This dental clinic has been designated an official foreign care provider by the Korean government.
- Oracle Skin Land (오라클피부과, "oh-rah-keul pee-boo-gwah") in shinae. Start facing Homeplus and walk to the left, past the Paris Baguette, you will see the sign. Go up the stairs next to the pharmacy. The staff don't speak English, but just show them your ARC, and then you can see the English-speaking dermatologist.
- Madi-sarang Hospital, in Sannam-dong near Shinhan Bank, above the Angel-in-Us coffee shop. They have a specialized physio clinic that is not acupuncture/haniwon/oriental medicine. The doctors speak decent English. Their phone number is 043-298-9988.
- Seoul Yeonhap Medical in shinae (across from the pedestrian crossing, near the Paris Baguette and Tattoo shop). The orthopedic doctor is there on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and speaks fluent English.
- Dr. Jang in Habokdae. Call 043-234-4055 to make an appointment. You will speak to Sunny, the doctor's wife. They are both kind and helpful.
- Vine Oriental Clinic in Sannam-dong. Across from Lotteria on the 2nd floor. The doctor speaks English pretty well.
- Yoon Clinic (윤한의원) in Bong-myeong-dong. Dr. Yoon is young and kind, and understands/speaks some English. The clinic is near the I-Park main gate, next to the Shinhan Bank.
- Jang Clinic (장한방한의원) in Bong-myeong-dong. Dr. Jang has some limited English. The clinic is clean and the doctor and staff are friendly and helpful.
- Dr. Jung in Uam-dong. His English is good, and it is a very professional and thorough place. It is near City Hall (across the street and 2 blocks south). It's called 정동물병원 ("juhng dohng-mool byuhng-wuhn").
- 가까운동물병원 ("kah-ggah-oon dohng-mool byuhng-wuhn") in Bunpyeong-dong. The vet's a really nice man with good English. They do boarding, too. It's across from Hi-Mart, next to Daiso.
- Dr. Joy Lee at Korea Animal Hospital (고려동물병원), across from the big stadium. She specializes in cats and geriatric pets (other vets with other specialties work there, too). She is friendly and knowledgeable, and speaks great English.
- Ms Mom. Near Sachang Sagori. 043-237-2201. You can just walk in. One of the doctors speaks excellent English.
- Soon Poong clinic (순풍 산부인과) in Yongam-dong. The doctor speaks English very well and is really kind. Get a taxi to KB bank in Yongam-dong ("Yohng-ahm-dohng, kook-min unheng"). The entrance to the building is between the bank and a pharmacy, and it's on the third floor.
- Dr. Min's OB/GYN Hospital (민병열산부인과). It's at Sachang Sagori, just past the KB Bank and the bus stop. The doctors speak enough English to help. Dr Min is very proud of his hospital and his expertise. They have 2 operating rooms and do deliveries and other operations there. 043-262-8540 (Korean only)
- Mo-tae-an (모태안) Women's Hospital. There is an English speaking doctor-- Park Chul-jong (박철종). It's a full-service hospital that does all health services for women. They also have a children's walk-in. Hours are 9-6 Mon-Fri and 10-6 on Saturday. It's 2 blocks west of Homeplus, one block east/across the street from McDonald's near Gaeshindong.
Laser Hair Removal
- Roselle Skin Clinic. On the main road in shinae (the road Homeplus is on) above the Angel-in-Us, next to Baskin Robbins. Look up to see the sign of a lady in a red dress. Open on weekends. Efficient and fair price.
- Skin Clinic on the top floor of the building near Shiwae Bus Terminal, just next to the taxi stand.
- Kim An-Gwa Clinic (김안과의원). From Sachang-Sagori, walk west (towards the bus terminal) for two or three blocks. It's on your left, with big curvy windows. The pharmacy and glasses shop are on the main floor, the doctor is up one floor. Everyone is friendly, and the female eye doctor speaks some English. No appointment needed.
- DaJeong at Dajeong Hair in Geumcheong-dong. She was trained and has experience working in London. She is fluent in English and good with all hair types. She can even do highlights, ombre, and bleaching. She is located in the apartment complex across the road from Geumcheong-dong Nonghyup Bank. Her Kakao ID is djyang.
- Kevin at "La Pluie". He studied/worked in Australia, and his English is great. Many people have rave reviews about his cuts! His shop is in shinae, on the side street just next to Pizza Hut. You can text or call him at 010-5281-7792.
- There are several hairdressers at "Jacques Dessange" who speak English The salon is huge and professional, and the staff are pleasant and efficient. It's in shinae, across from KFC, on the 2nd floor.
Optometrist/Glasses & Contacts
- Eyeglass Club (안경클럽) in Yullyang-dong, behind Cheongju Women's High School (청여고후문옆). Open 10:00am~9:00pm (Monday~Saturday) and 10:00am~8:00pm (Sunday-- but closed on the 4th Sunday of the month). Andy (Hoon-jae), a friendly Korean man who speaks English, works there.
- Ellie at Sannamdong Nails. She has twenty years of experience working in New York and New Jersey. She does both gel and regular manicures and pedicures (excellent, Western style with scrubbing). She also offers eyelash extensions, waxing, eyebrow shaping and semi-permanent eyebrow filling. She speaks English fluently and is beyond friendly. Her cell phone is 010-4680-1214. You can make appointments-- she's really accommodating. She's in Sannamdong, a few blocks down from Sannam High School (산남동 773). Mon~Fri 10:00am - 9:00pm and Sat 10:00am - 7:30pm.
- Royal Thai Massage in Sannam-dong. Really good Thai massages in a nice, upscale setting. They speak English (but the front desk people don't). It's on the main street, across from Dunkin Donuts on the 3rd floor. 60,000 won for a 1 1/2 hour full body massage. They are open 24 hours. They have foot soaks and tea also.
- Inside Chungbuk University. Go in the front gate, walk down the main university road past the tennis courts and library, and go in the big white building at the end of the road (Gaeshin Cultural Center). Pass the Mr. Coffee, Paris Baguette, and sports shop, and the travel agent is on your left. She usually takes long/late lunches, so either go in the morning or after 1:30. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ursula, Lewis, and the gang at Mega Tattoo. Ursula is a talented an experience tattoo artist, and Lewis is her Irish apprentice. They do great work at Mega Tattoo, and occasionally Lewis offers specials on small tattoos and writing. Mega Tattoo is located downtown near CGV on a side street. Check out the Mega Tattoo Facebook page.
Service Technician for Electronics
- For Samsung products that need servicing, go to the Samsung Service Center in Sannam-dong. (삼성전자 서비스 센터, "sahm-suhng juhn-jah suh-bees sen-tuh")
- For Apple products (iPhones and iPads) that need servicing, go to the Daewoo Elec Service Center in Sachang-dong. (대우일렉서비스센터, "day-oo eel-lehk suh-bees sen-tuh"). They are an authorized service provider for Apple. From Sachang Sagori, walk towards downtown for about two blocks. It will be on the left just before the post office.
- Jody Hiscock offers computer sales and service to foreigners in Cheongju. He can fix almost anything with a desktop computer-- hardware or software repairs, upgrades, or lost data retrieval. He also does minor repairs on laptops. Check out his Facebook page: English PC Sales and Repairs, or his website: www.EnglishPCSales.com
- If you have some special issue with your desktop/laptop that can't be fixed in Cheongju, go to Jay's Computer and Hobby Shop in Osan/Songtan (an hour and a half away from Cheongju). It's in the Shinjang Shopping Mall, which is just next to the main gate of the Osan Air Base. He's a foreigner who does repairs on all models of computers and laptops. Phone number: 070-8286-6710. Email: hun6897 @ yahoo.co.kr.
Real Estate Agent
- Ms. Lee is an English-speaking real estate agent at Ace Real Estate. You can reach her at 010-4512-4967. Her office is near the Chungdae area (Sachang-dong 361-60).
- Mr Song Jae Hong in shinaae is an English-speaking notary. He is also very kind and helpful. The charge for notarising is about 25,000 won per document (excludes a service charge and translation services). The process takes about two days. His office is in the Youth Square in Shinae, across the road and diagonally opposite NH bank.
Vocal (Singing Coach)
- Shilyong Music Hagwon (실용음악학원, "Sheel-yohng eum-ahk hahgwon") near Lotte Mart in Yongam-dong. It's 150,000 won a month for twice a week, hour-long lessons (30mins coaching, 30mins practicing)
- 이휘서 왁싱 is a waxing shop in Habokdae. They do eyebrows, underarms, legs, etc. and you can get a Brazilian wax. They're very excited to have foreigners come and some waxers speak English. Call 043-232-8308. Open Monday-Saturday, 11am ~ 10pm.
- James and Kyoung-mi at Teach Koreans (located in Cheongju)
- Bonnie at "OK Recruiting"- email@example.com
- Sky Jo- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jiyeon Baek- email@example.com